A testimony to the early Renaissance: the Cranach House on the market square in Weimar. In the 16th century, the painter Lucas Cranach the Elder lived here with his son Lucas Cranach the Younger until his death in October 1553. Lucas Cranach the Elder founded a workshop in the house and took in two more pupils in the year before his death. In his "painter's room" he worked on the famous three-winged altarpiece for the town church of St. Peter and Paul - the work that his son completed. Today, the house houses the "Theater im Gewölbe", a cabaret.