The Gooseman Fountain is based on the one in Nuremberg. He carries a goose beneath either arm, and the fountain - one of the most popular fountains in Weimar - also has four swans underneath the upper bowl.
This gem on Frauenplan was Weimar's very first cast-iron fountain. The original fountain had to be renewed when the wooden pipe casing had fallen into disrepair. Once a year, students from Goethe Grammar School who have just passed their baccalaureate exams traditionally receive a ducking in the fountain.
This is now the third reproduction of Neptune, although originally a lion - the heraldic beast of Weimar - stood here. The fountain which replaced the previous modest affair in 1570 cost 500 guilders.
Adolf Donndorf was born in Weimar, the son of a cabinet-maker. Starting in 1853 he was a student of Ernst Rietschel in Dresden. The Donndorf Fountain is based on the James Fountain in New York. This ornate piece by Adolf Donndorf (1835-1916) was copied several times by the sculptur itself - one example stands in Weimar.
The crowned lion, the heraldic animal of both Weimar and the Counts of Orlamünde, stands on a squat column with floral decoration. The Lion Fountain is the tallest and grandest fountain in Weimar.
If any fountain in Weimar deserves to be dubbed 'classical', it is Ilfonso Fountain. The sculpture is a copy of the marble San Ildefonso Group dating back to around the first century AD now on display in Madrid; Goethe referred to the group as 'Castor and Pollux' and had this copy made for his house on Frauenplan. The fountain was only moved to its current position in 1824.
This cast-iron fountain was modelled based on the Goethe Fountain. It, too, was made by Clemens Wenzeslaus Coudray a famous Weimar architect.
Geleitbrunnen ('Escort Fountain')
In 1847 Maria Pawlowna had four fountains in Weimar remodelled. They can be identified by the monogram 'MP' on the columns and are all topped by a slender vase.
Fountain by the reading museum
Originally intended to be the Goose Man Fountain on Schillerstrasse, this attempt was rejected because the bowl was too small and it was promptly moved to the Reading Museum. In 1864 Dr Horst Lüdde, a pharmacist and animal-lover, had a number of drinking troughs for dogs installed at several fountains.
The cast-iron classical column fountain shows a boy reading, dressed in a golden robe. The original wooden fountain in front of what is now the music school was replaced in 1957 by a more prestigious structure.
As its name suggests, Teichplatz was a pond ('Teich') in mediaeval times that was later filled in. Stonemason Carl Dornberger from Bad Berka was contracted to build it by Maria Pawlowna.
The Shell Fountain originally stood outside the house of Frau von Stein. Paid for by Maria Pawlowna, it was fashioned by a stonemason called Carl Dornberger from Bad Berka. Its most distinctive feature is the richly decorated rear wall.
Wieland Fountain was at one time removed from Wielandplatz and mothballed to make way for a new road scheme. It was later returned, becoming the square's hallmark.
Dismantled when the theatre was refurbished, only part of the Theatre Fountain was found in 1995, and it could not be rebuilt at its original location. Nowadays it adorns the rear façade of the theatre.
In this cross between a monument and a fountain, the surface of the water in the ground-level bowl acts like a mirror, reflecting the bronze statue of Ernst von Wildenbruch. The Mirror Fountain was removed in 1976 for political reasons.
Goethe's House Fountain
The group of figures featuring Hercules and Antaeus is a baroque original and shows Hercules wrestling the Libyan giant Antaeus. Being the son of the Earth, whenever Antaeus touched the ground his strength was renewed - but he was vanquished when Hercules lifted him up into the air.
Fountain at von Stein House
This is an impression seen frequently in Weimar: a fountain with an oval basin surrounded by free-standing columns. The fountain originally stood on Wielandplatz.