Castles
weimar.deCultureSightsCastlesEttersburg Castle

Ettersburg Castle

Ettersburg Castle lies on the edge of the forest on the northern side of the Grosse Ettersberg. This woodland has been the hunting ground for the Dukes of Weimar since the 17th century. Duke Wilhelm Ernst started building the castle at the beginning of the 18th century; the work was completed by his nephew Ernst August. From 1776 to 1780, the Dowager Duchess Anna Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach held her summer court in Ettersburg and became the centre of a circle of literary and musical figures.

In 1845, the castle avenue, one of the intersecting hunting trails, was widened with the suggestion and under the direction of Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau to form the so-called Pücklerschlag. Ettersburg Castle is today used as a seminar and conference centre.

Information

address

Schloss Ettersburg
Am Schloss 1
99439 Ettersburg
Fon: 03643 / 7 42 84 20
Fax: 03643 - 41 98 16
E-Mail
Website
show map

Visits

guided tours available in German
English tours on request


Anzeigen