Please note: The following overview also shows buildings with restricted access. Some are private homes which were once inhabited by Bauhaus artists.
Main buidling of the Bauhaus-Universität
Designed by Henry van de Velde, this is one of the most important art school buildings from the turn of the century and is the place where the Bauhaus was founded in 1919. Of course, the terms ‘Weimar’ and ‘Bauhaus’ went on to become milestones in the history of modern architecture. The building is...
Former School of Arts and Crafts
After two years of renovation, the second of two buildings, originally designed by Henry Van de Velde for the former School of Arts and Crafts, now belonging to the Bauhaus-Universität Weimar was reopened with a grand reopening ceremony on 5 February 2010.
Haus am Horn
This model house by Georg Muche is the only example of Bauhaus architecture in Weimar and was built in connection with the first major Bauhaus exhibition in 1923. This experimental house was built on Strasse Am Horn within just four months which went down in architectural history as Am Horn House...
Joahannes Itten, a Bauhaus Master, used the Templar's House at the Park on the River Ilm as his Painting Workshop. The historic Tea Salon of the Ducal Family was destroyed during Wolrd War II. m Februar 1945 wurde es zerstört. The ruin is still to be seen.
Reithaus at the Park
Das Bauhaus nutzte hier einige Räume von 1923 bis 1925 für den Vorkursunterricht. Diese Kurse gehörten zu den grundlegenden pädagogischen Einrichtungen der Bauhaus-Lehre. Das Reithaus wurde 1715 als Barockgebäude erbaut und 1803 stilistisch an das Schloss angepasst. Heute gehört das Gebäude zur Europäischen Jugendbildungs- und Begegnungsstätte.
War Memorial by Gropius
War Memorial - Historic cemetery: This reconstructed war memorial by Walter Gropius was destroit by the National Socialists in 1933. It's replica is to be found at the Historical cemetery. (Northern entrance).
Apartement of Walter Gropius
The founder and first director of the Bauhaus State School lived here from 1920 to 1925 before he moved to Dessau. The Bauhaus in Weimar had to close because of the political pressure in 1924. (Steubenstraße)
Apartement Lyonel Feininger
The famous painter ad artist was appointed to Bauhaus School to lead the studio of printing. From 1919 to 1925 he lived with his family on the right side of this beautiful house. Feininger is famous for his paintings of churches and villages in the surroundings of Weimar.
Apartement Wassily Kandinsky
Beside Feininger, Itten, Schlemmer or Klee he was one of the most important Bauhaus Masters: Wassily Kandinsky.He lived here from 1923 to 1925.
Apartement Paul Klee
Klee is famous for his half-abstract, childlike-primitive seeming paintings. He came to Weimar in 1921 and lived here on the first floor with his wife Lily and their son Felix. (Am Horn)
Apartement Johannes Itten and László Moholy-Nagy
Itten was one of the most influencing personalities of the early Bauhaus era .He lived in this neo-baroque house from 1920 to 1923 before his successor Moholy-Nagy moved here.
Apartement of Oskar Schlemmer
Before he moved to Prellerstraße, Oskar Schlemmer - painter, artist, sculptor and choreograph - lived in one of the Cavalier-Houses (Kavalierhäuser) of Belvedere Palace.
Apartement of Georg Muche
The architect of the “House am Horn” and with its 25 years one of the youngest of the Bauhaus Masters lived one the right part on the first floor. He was responsible for organizing the first Bauhaus exhibition in 1923.