The castles and parks in and around Weimar were places of leisure and pleasure, music, art and European dialogue on garden art and all the fine arts.

Belvedere castle, Tiefurt mansion and Ettersburg castle, together with their parks, are included in the UNESCO World Heritage List.

For the full overview please check below.

City Castle

The current design of Weimar’s City Palace, the residence of the Dukes of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach, has developed over more than 500 years of construction work. Situated on the bank of the river Ilm, the palace was originally built on the site of a medieval moated castle and was first mentioned in…

Belvedere Castle

Laid out in Duke Ernst August’s day in strict French style, in the late eighteenth century the gardens were transformed along the lines of the English landscape approach and many of the original buildings were demolished. Those which have been preserved are the cavaliers’ houses, the orangery along…

Tiefurt Mansion

The building, built in 1765 as a tenant house on ducal property on the bank of the river Ilm, served as Duke Carl August's younger brother's residence from 1776 on. Til 1806 it was the summer residence of Duchess Anna Amalia and a place for literary and social encounters.

Ettersburg Castle

The Ettersburg Palace complex consists of the old palace itself, the adjacent church, and the new palace in front, and was originally used as Anna Amalia’s summer residence. During this time, a literary and artistic circle met here, to which Wieland, Goethe or Herder belonged, among others.